Three Peas in a Pod

I was listening to an interview with Garth Brooks once and he told a story about his daughters I've never forgotten.  Growing up, even after he was famous and wealthy, his three girls shared a bedroom and they hated it.  They would grumble and complain and (so the story went) whine about living in a big ol' house with plenty of bedrooms but still being made to share.  As they got older, moved out, and began their own lives, they each independently came to him and thanked him for making them share that space as children.  He said as much as they voiced their displeasure over the sleeping arrangements, they were so glad for the memories they made staying up after bedtime talking, laughing, and being sisters in the same space.  

(I shared a room for a few years with my younger sister and I do not have those same sentiments.  Sometimes opposites don't attract, ya know?)

The point of my rambling is our three girls share a bedroom.  It happened by accident when we lived in our other, much smaller home and was born out of practicality. This house is also only three bedrooms and we gave our oldest the option of having her own room and the younger two being together.  Collectively, they were all hideously opposed to that idea, so we put them together here as well.  

Originally, two of our daughters slept on a daybed/trundle pull-out and our youngest slept in a toddler bed that she was very close to outgrowing.  We knew the toddler bed wasn't going to be an option in this house because we have baseboard boiler heat and wouldn't have had room for three beds in one space.  Rob was going to build a triple bunk bed but to save money and time, he decided to build (essentially) a loft bed and attach it to the frame of the daybed/trundle.     

Working for her room and board
Finished product without the ladder added on the end

Someone whacked her head thirty seconds after this picture


It's hard to see the original daybed in the second picture but it's black so that's what I plan on painting the wood on the loft bed.  I was dead set on painting it to match, then decided to leave it, and now I'm back around to the original painting-it-black plan.  The girls love it!

Comments