First Things First: Garage Storage Solutions
Aside from clearing out some tall grasses and brush on our property and along the roadside, one of the very first things Rob wanted to do was get his workshop organized and ready to use. Although it's still in the early stages, it's starting to resemble an actual shop, complete with a workbench and lineup of frequently used equipment. His shop, located on one-half of the garage, is framed out but not insulated or dry-walled, which is on the long list of tasks he'd like to do so he can heat it in the winter while working on projects. For now, he wanted to build some storage shelving along the back wall of the other side of the garage (opposite his shop) to hold totes and items that were taking up precious floor space. He did this by taking advantage of the high garage ceilings and vertical space, which saves room without making the space feel smaller.
Initally, the shelves spanned 16' but after looking at them, Rob decided it looked unfinished and went back and added 8' so it would be a wall-to-wall unit stretching 24' total. The shelf itself is plywood and the units are supported every 4' (I think) by brackets and bracing. I have no idea if I'm using the right terminology.
The totes we used to store stuff are construction grade containers. Here's a picture so you can run out to Lowe's and buy some and thank me later.
Overall, we're happy with how the shelves turned out. Using vertical space really frees up the garage floor for all the things that need to be inside during the winter (mainly my car because I'm a delicate flower unable to withstand frigid temperatures).
As always, Rob's shadow kept him company while working.
The plan from this point forward (which we've already started) is to begin with the basement and work our way up and, spoiler alert: Our basement is scary. I can't wait to tell you all about it and creep you out with pictures.
| In the building process |
Initally, the shelves spanned 16' but after looking at them, Rob decided it looked unfinished and went back and added 8' so it would be a wall-to-wall unit stretching 24' total. The shelf itself is plywood and the units are supported every 4' (I think) by brackets and bracing. I have no idea if I'm using the right terminology.
| Can you can see the finished product through all our junk? |
| You're welcome. |
As always, Rob's shadow kept him company while working.
| Garage dog |
Comments
Post a Comment